Future Development Program
Identifying and Preparing Young Athletes and Coaches for Elite Basketball
The Future Development Program (FDP) is the entry-level tier of the High Performance Program, focussing on the identification, support and development of athletes aged 12-13 years old, and on the development of aspiring elite coaches.
The FDP serves to identify potential state and national representative athletes at an age where skill development is crucial to an athlete's future playing career.
Program participants are introduced to aspects of state-team ideology and systems, and participate in skill-based programs at home, with support from their local associations. Athletes then take part in regional trials, team selections and an All-State Development Camp.
Coach development is also a major focus of the Future Development Program, with Basketball Queensland providing expert coaches and resources in the athlete's repsective regions, and support, training and mentoring for FDP coaches.
- Introduction of a state philosophy of play
- Improve athlete intensity levels and training habits
- Introduce sport-general and sport-specific concepts
- Increased frequency/duration of athlete-to-coach contact
- Increase in number of athletes being catered for
- Increase in coach expertise
- Increased involvement from expert regionally-based coaches accountable for delivering state strategies, and identifying, supervising and mentoring association coaches