About Basketball Queensland
Basketball Queensland Vision
For basketball in Queensland to be an innovative, unified and inclusive sport recognised by the broader Queensland community as a leader in sports delivery and development and as a part of the national basketball community.
Basketball Queensland Mission
To provide leadership and a state-wide framework that enables everyone to grow, develop and participate in the sport of basketball throughout Queensland and open the door to national and international opportunities.
Basketball Queensland Ltd is a company limited by guarantee (ACN 162 567 419), and was established in 1946 to join as a member of Basketball Australia, allowing participation in the first Australian Men's Championships.
As the peak governing body for basketball in the state of Queensland, Basketball Queensland Ltd is committed to delivering outstanding competitions, development programs and high-level governance for more than 26,000 basketball players, coaches, officials and administrators across Queensland.
Basketball Queensland has 34 affiliated member associations across the state, encompassing regional areas from North Queensland to Mount Isa and right through to the Gold Coast and the Southern Downs.
With a total of 13 staff based at BQ's head office at the Sleeman Sports Centre, Chandler, Brisbane, seven regional staff at associations across the state, and a highly-skilled and experienced board of directors - Basketball Queensland boasts a wealth of expertise, experience and dedication across Competitions, High Performance, Association Services, governance and administration.
Basketball Queensland operations are driven by a strategic and operational plan to which all stakeholders are involved in the planning and development at an annual conference.
Our year-round competition and development calendar allows opportunities and pathways for new, developing and elite players, both men and women, of all ages, while a number of stadiums in Queensland air-conditioned and of international, or national standard to allow for year-round play.
Basketball is an extremely popular and well recognised sport, not only in Queensland, but Australia-wide. It is a non-contact sport and provides a safe and enjoyable opportunity for players of all age groups and abilities.
Opportunities exist for those wishing to participate as a player, official, coach, administrator or volunteer - at the grass-roots right through to elite levels in basketball.
With strong linkages to Basketball Australia and the National Basketball League and Women's National Basketball League, opportunities exist for players to move through to the elite levels of the sport through Basketball Queensland's highly-regarded High Performance Program. Australia has a strong reputation on the global basketball stage, currently ranked fourth overall by world governining body FIBA (Australian Opals women's team ranked third, Australian Boomers men's team ranked eighth, and the Gliders and Rollers wheelchair teams ranked second in the world).
Basketball Queensland Profile:
- Large family-orientated demographic with players aged from 8-75
- 34 Associations and 87 clubs throughout Queensland
- Large player base with over 26,000 participants including many social players
- Participation from men and women
- Ability to play at all ages
- Played both indoors and outdoors, 12 months of the year
- State-wide representation with the sport, including all regional areas
- Highly professional Directors and staff
- Linkages to two NBL and two WNBL Queensland teams
- Exceptional competition structure across the state
- Competitions for disabled athletes
- National elite development programs
- Junior development programs
- Primary and secondary school programs
- Participation in all National Championships
- Excellent relationships with Federal, State and Local Governments